Tuesday 9 October 2012

Getting to know me - 5 post challenge


Hhmmmm films, this is also quite difficult. I love love love going to the cinema. Getting all warm and cosy (as you must take extra layers and slipper socks), some popcorn and just becoming totally ensconced in a complete make believe world. 

I have wracked my brain for this one. On the one hand I want to appear educated and like I know what I'm talking about, but on the other hand I am a rom com kind of girl. The shi***r the film, the more likely I am going to love it. I don't really do black and white and I definitely don't do foreign. 

So rather than my three most favourite films, I'm just going to tell you about three of my favourite films in the last year.


1. One Day

Adapted from the novel of the same name written by David Nicholls (also my husbands name) this is the tragically ending love story of Emma and Dexter. They first meet at Grad Ball, on their last night in Edinburgh and it documents their lifes, by visiting them on the same day every year. As with the rest of the films on my list I had read the book before watching the film, and so was excited to see the film adaptation and the characters brought to life. I wasn't disappointed, the actors clearly felt a resonance with the characters so deeply depicted by David Nicholls and it is a film I've watched time and time again. 

2. My week with Marilyn

Who isn't obsessed with the blonde bombshell? Like most girls I'm intrigued by this clearly disturbed women who made the search for happiness her lifes purpose. The story is based in England, when Marilyn at the height of her fame visits England to film at Elstree Studios in North London. She takes a liking to one of the film hands, who carefully noted down the roller coaster of a week that he had with her. Michelle Williams is totally amazing, and the likeness for the starlet is unbelievable. Also cue lots of 50's fashion lusting. 

3. The Hunger Games

OK like everyone else I was totally obsessed with these books, and devoured them one after the other in less than 2 weeks. I couldn't wait for the film adaptation, and seeing how the 'Capital' and its colourful inhabitants would be shown. I was also intrigued to see how they would deal with the quite brutal and bloody deaths that make the hunger games what it is. As it is teen lit, they did have to dumb down the killings and I actually like Katniss in the film, while after reading the books I wasn't quite sure if I did like her or not. It's set up perfectly for the next installment which I can't wait for.




2 comments:

  1. Hi I've just followed you. I love the blog, its got great styling and great posts. Exciting news about the baby as well, you definitely don't look 32 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much :) followed you back :) http://xxxloveisbeautyxxx.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete